If you need attic insulation installation in Brockport, New York, MIG Building Systems is a good name to know. We have been serving the Brockport area for almost 40 years, delivering quality attic insulation products and reliable, professional service to all of our customers.
Significant sources of energy loss in homes, attics are one of the best places to install insulation. In our experience, attic insulation is also one of the best ways to enhance the energy efficiency of your home, helping improve your overall comfort levels and reduce monthly bills.
Before Insulating the Attic
Before installing insulation, all of our experienced professionals follow these essential steps to help ensure proper attic insulation installation:
- Seal all attic air leaks (air leaks can undermine the performance of insulation).
- Use a tightly constructed box to cover duct exhaust fan housing on the attic side. We also seal around the duct where it exits the box and seal the perimeter of the box to the drywall on the attic side.
- Cover openings (such as dropped ceilings, soffits and bulkheads) into the attic area with plywood and seal to the attic side of the ceiling.
- Seal around chimney and framing with a high-temperature caulk or furnace cement.
- At the tops of interior walls, use long-life caulk to seal the smaller gaps and holes and expanding foam or strips of rigid foam board insulation for the larger gaps.
- Install metal flashing blocking to maintain fire-safety clearance requirements (usually 3 inches) for heat-producing equipment found in an attic, such as flues, chimneys and exhaust fans. We also include light housings/fixtures unless the fixtures are IC (insulation contact) rated; IC rated lights are airtight and can be covered with insulation.
- Make sure insulation doesn’t block soffit vents to allow for proper attic ventilation.
- Check the attic ceiling for water stains or marks, which indicate roof leaks or lack of ventilation.
- Insulate and air seal your attic access if it’s located in a conditioned part of the house.
- Properly insulate and air seal any knee walls or vertical walls with attic space directly behind them.
No matter your attic insulation needs, the MIG team can help.
Attic Insulation Installation in Brockport
Not sure if you need attic insulation installation? A general rule of thumb is if you can see your floor joists, you most likely need to add more insulation to your attic. Learn more »
Your best bet? Call the experienced attic insulation contractors at MIG!
If you are seeking expertise for your attic insulation installation project in the Brockport, New York area, contact MIG today and allow our home insulation experts to help you determine the right option for your attic.