The official start of winter is just around the corner—although according to the temperature, it certainly feels like winter is already here! What does this mean? You’re probably getting ready to use your fireplace for the first time since last winter.
There’s nothing wrong with cozying up by the fire during the cold season, but keep in mind that there are a few things you need to do before setting your fireplace to action. Pre-use inspections are vital.
It’s highly recommended to check your fireplace before use. How do you go about this? Call a local company that provides fireplace services!
What to Do Before Using Your Fireplace
Getting a fireplace inspection is one of the most important things you can do to help minimize the risk of problems and ensure safety.
Professional fireplace services typically include:
- Cleaning (both the inside and outside of the fireplace)
- Carbon monoxide and gas leak testing
- Inspection of the vent
- Gas pressure verification and gas valve function testing
- Ignition and combustion testing
- Ember adjustment and ember bed refreshment (if necessary)
- Cleaning and adjustment of the pilot flames
- Pilot burner testing
- Inspection of orifices for blockages
- And more
In addition to having a professional inspection, it’s also important to do a few things yourself before using the fireplace. Be sure to:
- Read the manuals
- Prevent children and pets from going near the fireplace when it’s in use or has recently been used
For gas fireplaces in particular:
- Keep remote controls out of the reach of children
- Wait for the glass panel to cool down before going near it (this may take an hour or more)
- Consider installing a switch lock to prevent children from turning the fireplace on
For wood burning fireplaces in particular:
- Keep the area clear of flammable materials
- Never burn cardboard or trash
Learn more about fireplace safety »
Annual Fireplace Services in the Rochester & Syracuse Areas
When you work with MIG Building Systems, you can trust that you are getting top-of-the-line expertise and reliable, quality service—guaranteed. Our fireplace experts offer an annual service contract for both MIG installed fireplaces and non-MIG installed fireplaces.
If you are interested in learning more about our fireplace annual service contracts, contact the team at MIG today—make sure your fireplace works properly before you start using it this winter!