A fireplace can be a great addition to your home—it comes in handy for the cold nights we get here in Upstate New York and can help enhance the interior of your home. But do you keep up with your fireplace cleaning and maintenance?
Fireplace cleaning is important for the safety of you and your family, so it’s recommended that you get professional fireplace cleaning service. Between professional jobs, however, there are a few things you can do on your own to keep your fireplace clean and in safe condition.
Quick Fireplace Cleaning Tips
If you have a fireplace—or multiple fireplaces—in your home, you should:
- Be aware of creosote buildup (which is responsible for a number of residential fires every year)
- Make sure the area around the fireplace is always clear of debris, decorations, etc.
- Try your best to remove the large debris and chunks of material at the bottom of the fireplace if you can (you may want to wear a mask to cover your mouth)
It’s recommended that professionals handle your fireplace cleaning needs, but it’s a good idea to be aware of creosote and the area around your fireplace, as these are potential hazards.
Signs You Need Fireplace Cleaning
There are a few signs to look out for that indicate you probably need fireplace cleaning. These include:
- Smoke filling the room and the rest of the house when you’re using the fireplace
- Difficulty starting a fire
- Bad odors coming from the fireplace
Professional Fireplace Cleaning Service
The end of the cold season, around late February and March, is the best time to clean the fireplace, but professional fireplace cleaning is beneficial any time of year. MIG Building Systems offers thorough fireplace cleaning, both inside and out.
- Inspect the vents
- Test the pilot burner and orifices for blockages
- Adjust embers and refresh the ember bed if necessary
- Test for proper ignition and combustion
- Clean and adjust pilot flames
- And more
We offer fireplace annual service contracts for both MIG and non-MIG products. Contact us today to learn more about our fireplace contracts and cleaning service!