Looking for experienced insulation contractors? If you need attic insulation for your home in the Rochester or Syracuse areas, talk to the team at MIG Building Systems today. We have been serving Upstate New York since 1975, delivering quality attic insulation products and reliable, professional service to all of our customers.
Insulating Your Attic
As one of the most significant sources of energy loss in a home, attics are one of the best places to insulate. With today’s technology, it is possible to add layers to your attic’s current insulation in a cost-effective manner. Attic insulation is also one of the best ways to enhance the energy efficiency of your home, improving your overall comfort level year-round and reducing monthly bills.
Don’t wait! Improve your home’s comfort and reduce monthly bills now! Call MIG Building Systems at 888-397-0988 or contact us online today for attic insulation services near Rochester and surrounding areas!
Check out our video below about how MIG’s Certified Energy Experts team can design a thermal envelope solution that is right for your home:
Our Attic Insulation Process
All of our expert crews follow these essential steps to ensure proper attic insulation installation:
- Seal all attic air leaks (most insulation does not stop airflow!).
- Use a tightly constructed box to cover duct exhaust fan housing on the attic side. We also seal around the duct where it exits the box and seal the perimeter of the box to the drywall on the attic side.
- Cover openings (such as dropped ceilings, soffits and bulkheads) into the attic area with plywood and seal to the attic side of the ceiling.
- Seal around chimney and framing with a high-temperature caulk or furnace cement.
- At the tops of interior walls, use long-life caulk to seal the smaller gaps and holes and expanding foam or strips of rigid foam board insulation for the larger gaps.
- Install metal flashing blocking to maintain fire-safety clearance requirements (usually 3 inches) for heat-producing equipment found in an attic, such as flues, chimneys and exhaust fans. We also include light housings/fixtures unless the fixtures are IC (insulation contact) rated; IC rated lights are airtight and can be covered with insulation.
- Make sure insulation doesn’t block soffit vents to allow for proper attic ventilation.
- Check the attic ceiling for water stains or marks, which indicate roof leaks or lack of ventilation.
- Insulate and air seal your attic access if it’s located in a conditioned part of the house.
- Properly insulate and air seal any knee walls or vertical walls with attic space directly behind them.
Attic Insulation Guide
Blown-in insulation (blown fiberglass and loose-fill cellulose) is typically installed in an attic. Batt insulation and spray foam can also be installed in this space. Radiant barriers are more ideal for warm climates like Florida and Arizona and aren’t as effective as thermal insulation here in New York.
According to the U.S. Department of Energy, insulation should be installed:
- Between and over the floor joists in unfinished attics (so that the living space below is sealed off)
- In the attic access door
- Between knee wall studs
- Between the studs and rafters of exterior walls and roof
- In ceilings with cold spaces above
Attic Insulation in Rochester, Syracuse & Surrounding Areas
Not sure if you need attic insulation installation? A general rule of thumb is if you can see your floor joists, you most likely need to add more insulation to your attic. Your best bet? Call the experienced attic insulation contractors at MIG!
We understand the importance of having properly installed insulation in your home. Insulation can not only lower your energy costs, but it can also make your home more comfortable year-round and help improve the performance of your HVAC systems!
Never ask, “Where can I find attic insulation contractors near me?” again! If you are seeking expertise for your attic insulation installation project in the Rochester or Syracuse area, contact MIG today and allow our home insulation experts to help you determine the right option for your attic.
Our Attic Insulation Service Area
MIG Building Systems offers attic insulation services to the following areas: Brighton, Buffalo, Canandaigua, Cheektowaga, Fairport, Farmington, Geneseo, Greece, Henrietta, Irondequoit, Newark, Ontario, Penfield, Rochester, Syracuse and Tonawanda.