A fireplace is a great way to stay warm and cozy when the temperatures plummet in winter, but buying and storing firewood can be a hassle. That’s why so many homeowners prefer gas fireplaces. But what do you do if you already have a wood-burning fireplace?
Thankfully, wood-burning fireplaces can be converted to gas. In this blog post, the gas fireplace experts at MIG Building Systems explain the conversion process and the details you should factor into your decision to convert.
Benefits of Converting to a Gas Fireplace
Many homeowners don’t consider fireplace conversion as an option, but converting your wood fireplace to gas offers many benefits, including:
- More convenient and efficient than wood fireplaces
- No need to chop or store wood
- No need to clean up ash
- No need for matches, lighters, starters or kindling
- Easy maintenance
- Cleaner burning fuel
What Are Your Gas Fireplace Options?
When converting to a gas fireplace, you have several options to choose from. For each one, you’ll need to have a natural gas line installed. Each type of gas fireplace has advantages compared to the others.
From chimney requirements to cost, they all have their unique benefits and should be considered against your budget, home specifications and comfort requirements.
Once you’ve determined which type is best for you, there are many styles, finishes, controls and other factors to consider. Primary gas fireplace types include:
- Direct-vent gas fireplaces: These require a chimney or vent. More convenient than wood stoves and more realistic than electric fireplaces, direct-vent gas fireplaces are an easy, efficient way to create a beautiful focal point.
- Ventless gas inserts: Gas inserts don’t require vents due to more efficient burning. These are inexpensive and convenient, because there’s no need to completely remodel your entire fireplace.
- Vented gas logs: Gas logs are designed to look just like actual wooden logs and enhance the visual aesthetic of the fireplace. These are an extremely low-maintenance, affordable way to enjoy a gas fireplace in your existing masonry fireplace.
Trust MIG Building Systems for All Your Fireplace Installation Needs in Rochester & Syracuse, NY
At MIG Building Systems, our professionals have extensive training and comprehensive experience to handle your wood-to-gas fireplace conversion, from assessing your budget and needs to selecting the right unit and installing it.
We’ve been in business since 1975, and we’re known throughout Upstate New York for our superior work and outstanding customer service.
Call MIG Building Systems at 888-397-0988 to learn more about converting your wood fireplace to gas in the Rochester and Syracuse, NY, areas.