Fireplace Safety Tips
Here at MIG, we take fireplace safety seriously. It is important to be cautious of your actions around the fireplace, as well as read your manuals and follow instructions to ensure your family is safe.
Be sure to follow these gas fireplace safety tips:
- Supervise children, the elderly, the disabled and pets near a gas fireplace, stove or inset that is in use or was recently turned off.
- Keep any remote controls out of the reach of children.
- Install a switch lock to prevent children from turning on the appliance.
- Make sure family members and guests are aware that the glass panel of a gas fireplace stove or insert can be very hot.
- Wait for the appliance and glass panel to cool down before allowing anyone near it. Cool down can take an hour or more. Some appliances turn on and off automatically with a thermostat, so it may not be clear when a fire is turned off.
- Be aware that metal surfaces, such as door frames and grilles, can also get hot.
- Read the owner’s manual and follow instructions.
For wood burning fireplaces, many of the same safety tips apply, such as reading the owner’s manual, supervising children, keeping the area clear of flammable materials, never burning cardboard or trash, etc.